Developing all employees' capacity to embrace and adapt to evolving technology.

Google Apps in the Classroom

Posted by ssweeney on February 18, 201655 Comments

Now that you have had time to process your learning from the Google Training, take a minute to comment on this blog post to share ideas you had during your learning for how you could use your learning in the classroom.  Try to follow the format on the example below to make them easy to glance through.

FORMS

6-12 – After seeing that the new forms has templates, I plan to use them as exit tickets everyday.  This will provide me with quick an easy to read and organize information about how well the students were doing with the content allowing me to inform my instruction for the next day.

NAME OF TOOL

grade your idea would work for – Description of what you want to do.  How it will help student learning

When you have finished, read through some of the ideas of your colleagues.  You are encouraged to use the REPLY button to comment on their ideas.  Help them grow or share your experience.

55 comments to "Google Apps in the Classroom"

1. Sean Sweeney says:

NAME OF TOOL – grade your idea would work for – Description of what you want to do. How it will help student learning

2. leigh says:

Boomerang with gmail. Track and send easy reminder emails for missing work.

3. Zajkova says:

Need to learn how to organize documents and to archive documents.

Need to learn if integrating google with Managebac in a more robust way is a possibility.

Would like to find a more robust version of doctopus.

4. Diane Holloway says:

Google App: Will use documents for shared work. I prefer to use Socrative for exit tickets, Survey Monkey for forms.
    Google Stopwatch for classroom timed tasks.

• Diane Holloway says:

I’d like to learn how to use more of the iPad apps to have interactive presentations but for me to help teach the students and students to use in presentation of information. I’d like to use EduCreations

5. D. Hoover says:

I want to expand my use of google forms by employing autocrat. I need methodical step-by-step instruction and time to develop the documents.

6. Eric says:

GOOGLEDOCS–the unit plan outline Veronica shared. 8-12 grade. I liked how it gave students an overview, including hyperlinks, of unit or section of a unit. It was easy for students to see what was coming up, what they might have missed, and to find resources–all on one page!

• Jessie Moore says:

Having one place for students to look for resources is a great tool! It helps students become more responsible and allows parents to know whats going on in the classroom too!

7. Jessie Moore says:

google keep- all ages- Keep will help students and teachers have one place that is linked to their account to ensure that tasks are getting completed. It is ideal for the disorganized student. It can also help teachers keep track of interesting articles that they would like to pull into their teaching at a later date.

8. I found this Board ideal for any project or any unit that comes into class. It will give students a clear overview of the objectives, resources, assessment criteria and tasks – all in one screen.

9. Nick Gerard-Larson says:

Google Keep – All secondary – This offers a digital kind of post-it note board that can mix text and visuals allowing students to quickly collect lists, notes, pictures, etc. Could be a good study aid and/or organizing tool for students.

10. cristina denegri says:

Hapara creo quemeresultaría util en mi curso.

11. Consuelo Olivares says:

I like technology, but I learn slowly. I like to have knowledge, little by little. The three minutes presentations were too fast for me yesterday. I barely remember them. The people that knows technology real well can take advantage of it.

12. Stuart says:

Google Forms – Using it to get quick feedback from students on the lesson or to find out if they have learned what I wanted them to learn. Have used other tools for this in the past but it would be good to just standardize on Google products.

13. Zoé says:

Groups – all H.S. – quick communication and sharing of documents with a groups of students, also allows interaction so students can ask questions if something is unclear and answer is visible to all. This can work for class groups but also smaller working group, so students can work collaboratively in and outside the classroom.

14. Michael Garbutt says:

Explain Everything – 6-12 – I would like to use this app to create math videos of the steps required to solve problems from the notes we take in class or from formative and summative assessments. This will help create an opportunity for students to re-watch an explanation, pause to take notes, etc. I hope to become more comfortable and more creative in order for this app to also add an entertainment value to the videos.

15. Marion Proud says:

I teach HS English, grades 10, 11, & 12.
    I am interested in Google Keep.
    Although I keep my teaching units electronically, I find that I prefer my old paper files, as I can see at a glance all resources and materials I have used over time. I am interested in developing Google Keep versions of my files so that I have an ” at-a-glance” version to scan when I am planning units.

16. Martin says:

FORMS-9&10 – I hope to use Forms to increase the frequency of formative feedback that I receive from my students

17. Hector Acuna says:

DOCS-After seeing how to enter equations in google docs I can share documents with formulas and examples with my students

18. Erika Villar says:

Integrate google and Managebac and improve HAPARA too (I think is a good tool).

19. Yvette Corazao says:

HAPARA’s functions to improve the management of the classroom. I am exploring the platform and would like to learn more about it.

20. Consuelo Olivares says:

Of course students learn fast, and I can choose a different strategy for different projects. I also practice after school to keep me updated

21. Andrea Muga says:

FORMS – Secondary – I learnt Google Forms already has templates which make it easier to start using the app instead of having to create a completely new one from the beginning. Forms are a good tool for both students and teachers: to collect information and give feedback.

22. Desiree says:

I’m hoping to continue to use Hapara this year and make it my goal to expand it to Workspaces and make each unit workspace a one-stop shop for my students and this way foster independence and autonomy!

23. Marisol says:

Keep is a great tool to use at my workplace and my personal life. It makes communication easier!!!

24. Colette says:

I would like to learn more about the KEEP app that Ali shared with us yesterday.

25. Georgina says:

Google Sheets – There are Education Templates, one of them, Gradebook. I’m going to use it to track my students’ math homework and math quizes.

26. Ale G. says:

DIfferent apps
    faster
    easier

27. Patty says:

Know I feel more comfortable using google applications.

28. Katia says:

Keeps, I didn’t know about this, i think is very useful for planning.

29. Claudia says:

I’d like to learn more about google keep and how, or if it will improve my students’ learning and / or my teaching.

30. Talia says:

CONTACTS- create groups for parent, team clusters.

31. Jennifer Wysocki says:

Google Calendar- Grade 2- I would like to start keeping a digital calendar with important dates, changes in routine/structure of the day, etc. with my class that we can refer to during our Morning Meeting each day.

32. Sean says:

I would love to learn more about Google Classroom. I understand that there is a tool for assigning and grading assignments… all virtually- no paper! Hmm, sounds interesting and geo-friendly.

33. Verito Saettone says:

I might be working with Keep this semester to help me organize my students pictures to use in the portfolio… :)

34. Fiorella says:

I need more training on Google Sheets. I’d like to use this in my classroom.

35. Karla Linares says:

I am looking forward to use Hapara in class! I think it is a great way to integrate technology in the classroom and enrich students’ learning experience.

36. Dan Stevens says:

Hapara has just introduced a new Workspace feature which Camille shared with us yesterday. If you are a Hapara user this looks pretty interesting. https://vimeo.com/130373016

37. Like Desiree and Camille, I also want to start working more in Happara’s workplace feature – the possibilities of that site look really helpful.

38. Rita Padilla says:

I think that that google sites could be great place for parents to organize sites that are kid friendly. Parents can find it easily as well.

39. Katia says:

Grade 2, Google Calendar. – You can use it to organize events and share with parents.

40. Jo Nelson (G3) says:

I would like to use Google keep to organize ideas and collect resources for units. The students might also like to use this too to organize their group projects, especially in the Market Place unit. I would also like to explore the use of workspace in Hapara for giving learning activities to my class. I have been using Hapara a fair bit over this past semester and find it great to organize my children’s learning as they become more familiar with google apps.

41. Pamela says:

I want to try out different ways to organize my anecdotal notes and photos/videos using Keep this semester!

42. Hi Dan, I just saw now that you posted a video about Happara workspace and boards – very interesting – I am going to talk to my tech leader (Camille) and see what possibilities we can explore this unit using it. Thanks!

43. Mike says:

Thanks for sharing insights on Google apps. I might take some classes on app development.